Pittsburgh-based writer and editor with nearly two decades of experience in print and online media, covering both straight news and pop culture. Also a datacaster for Major League Baseball Advanced Media, working out of the PNC Park press box.
Freelance Writer and Editor
(February 2004 – present)
- Work as a contributing writer at Mt. Lebanon Magazine, where I’ve covered a variety of local topics, including education, sports and the arts. I also write a regular film column for the magazine.
- Serve as publisher, editor and lead writer at CultSpark.com, a pop-culture website covering film, TV, videogames and comics that I launched in March 2012. Handle all social media for the website, maintaining its online presence. Produce a semi-regular podcast.
- Have written pop-culture content for such websites as CHUD.com, Cinematallica.com and Guy.com.
- Wrote a weekly television column that was published in The Herald — a daily newspaper based in Rock Hill, S.C., with a circulation of 30,000 — from 2004 to 2008.
- Have contributed three essays to BenBella Books’ Smart Pop series of books on pop culture, including Batman Unauthorized (2008), Webslinging: Unauthorized Essays on Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (2007) and Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon’s Firefly (2005).
Stats Datacaster, Major League Baseball Advanced Media
(April 2006 – present)
Work from the Pirates press box, using MLB’s proprietary software to digitally score and transmit live statistics, play results and general game information from Pittsburgh home games. Responsible for quickly and correctly entering data, which is immediately streamed to MLB.com, ESPN and other sports news services.
Closed Captioner, VITAC
(August 2004 – July 2006)
- One of the entertainment industry’s top on-screen captioning companies
Employed full time as a captioner for a number of high-profile television shows. Duties included transcribing audio from various programs, editing scripts for spelling and grammatical accuracy, and using VITAC proprietary software to program the proper timing and placement for captioning.
Editor, Lake Wylie Pilot
(September 2002 – January 2004)
- McClatchy-owned weekly with a circulation of 10,000
Managed entire editorial department, including reporters, columnists and freelancers for a newspaper covering both the North Carolina and South Carolina sides of Lake Wylie, located adjacent to Charlotte, N.C. Edited all copy that appeared in the paper, designed every page, assigned stories, wrote editorials and worked to promote the Lake Wylie Pilot and increase readership. Redesigned the paper in the fall of 2002 to make it more attractive and user-friendly.
Assistant Editor, Fort Mill Times
(December 1999 – September 2002)
- McClatchy-owned weekly with a circulation of 6,700
Managed news department for the highly-respected South Carolina weekly, located just a few miles south of Charlotte, N.C. Coordinated story assignments, edited copy and instructed reporters on writing techniques. Designed every page of an attractive, informative and easy-to-read newspaper. Authored “Life from the Cheap Seats,” a popular weekly opinion column.
Reporter/Columnist, Fort Mill Times
(April 1998 – December 1999)
Wrote spot news, investigative pieces and in-depth features while managing multiple beats. Shot photos to accompany all news stories.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES
Board Member, Mt. Lebanon Community Relations Board (June 2013 – present)
Social Media Coordinator, Mt. Lebanon Girls Softball Association (January 2016 – present)
Youth Softball Coach, Mt. Lebanon Girls Softball Association (March 2013 – present)
EDUCATION & COLLEGE EXPERIENCE
Bachelor of Science Degree in Journalism, West Virginia University, May 1997
Managing Editor, The Daily Athenaeum
(August 1996 – May 1997)
- West Virginia University’s five-days-a-week student newspaper; circulation 15,000
Managed news, sports and entertainment sections of a full broadsheet newspaper. Designed and laid out color front page. Supervised a staff of 40 writers and editors.
Experienced with WordPress and Joomla web-blogging applications, as well as most major desktop publishing systems. Proficient with Adobe Photoshop and Audacity sound-editing software.